Nancy Hyton, LAc, CH, MAOM
Center for Holistic Medicine
779 Haywood Road, Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 505-3174, www.CenterHolistic.com
- Masters of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Daoist Traditions, 2007. A member of the first class of Asheville's esteemed acupuncture school, Daoist Traditions College of the Chinese Medical Arts. Graduated with honors from their comprehensive four-year, 4,000-hour program in Classical Chinese Medicine.
- Herbalist Certification, Sage Mountain, 2000. Completed the "Art and Science of Herbalism" course through Sage Mountain, Rosemary Gradstar's school in Vermont.
- Internship at United Plant Savers' Botanical Sanctuary, 2000. An internship at Rosemary Gladstar's sanctuary focusing on the rehabilitation of 360 acres of former coal strip-mine land in the Appalachian Mountains. Conserving, propagating, and reintroducing native endangered medicinal plants like ginseng and black cohosh.
- Internship at the National Center for the Preservation of Medicinal Herbs, 2000. An internship focused on developing formal cultivation techniques for native endangered medicinal plants in order to protect wild populations from over-harvesting.
- Masters of Philosophy, New York University, 1994. A two-year degree with a focus on Asian philosophy and medical ethics.
- Bachelor of Philosophy, SUNY Albany, 1991. Graduated with honors from the State University of New York at Albany.
- Board Member, West Asheville Business Association, 2017 to present. I am excited to be the newest board member of this fine organization, founded in 1950. My primary official task will be to welcome all new businesses to the neighborhood.
- Center for Holistic Medicine, 2008 to present. Founder and staff acupuncturist. Offering private, comprehensive Chinese medicine treatments that integrate herbal medicine, medical massage, and dietary therapy. Recipient of 10 “Best of Western North Carolina” awards in the Mountain Xpress' write-in readers' poll: “Best Acupuncturist" 3 years, “Best Alternative Healing Center" 7 years.
- Adjunct Instructor, 2009. Mountain Area Health Education Center and the Appalachian School of Holistic Herbalism. Courses taught included the four-month series “When Pharmacology, Herbalism, and Nursing Come Together,” and “The Medicinal Properties of Traditional Incense.”
- West Asheville Urban Plant Walk, 2009 to 2014. Founder and co-host of these walks, focusing on the edible and medicinal plants found in the gardens and wild spaces in the blocks immediately surrounding the Center. This event took place every spring and fall for a total of ten walks and cataloged almost 80 different plants.
- West Asheville Acupuncture, 2007 to 2008. Founder and staff acupuncturist, offering both private sessions and house calls.
- Whole Foods, Atlanta, 2000 to 2003. Buyer and staff herbalist conducting health consultations, managing inventory and special orders for over thirty companies, in charge of departmental organization, displays, and product management. Received awards for sales records and employee of the year.
- Health Food Industry 1989 to 2000. Worked in various independent health food stores as a buyer and herbalist, from Honest Weight Co-op in Albany, New York, to Return to Eden and Sevananda Co-op in Atlanta, Georgia.